Scepter was founded in 1949 by a young European immigrant, Evald Torokvei. Working in the basement of his downtown Toronto home, he manufactured inflatable vinyl toys by night and sold them during the day.
The company grew quickly, moving first to a small rented facility in 1950, then to a larger building in East York, purchased in 1953. In 1954 Scepter changed its organizational structure and incorporated. In the early days, Scepter made everything from inflatable toys to wading pools, hula hoops, and a wide range of consumer goods. But our founder believed many industrial needs could also be met with plastics.
History was to prove him right!
Scepter had set the stage for its current reputation as an innovator by blow-moulding the first plastic Jerry Gas Cans in Canada in the late 1950s. By the end of the first decade, the plant had doubled in size, and Scepter had received numerous design and innovation awards from the plastics industry.
Realizing that limited Canadian competition existed in extrusion and injection-moulded plastic products, Evald Torokvei led the expansion into extruded PVC pipe and fittings. In the 1990s Scepter merged its pipe division with Canron's to form IPEX. Over the next decade, IPEX would become one of the world's largest pipe and fitting manufacturers.
In the 1980s Scepter began to convert the marine industry to outboard plastic fuel tanks as standard OEM equipment for Mercury outboard engines. Today, international companies such as Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Tohatsu and Mercury all use marine fuel tanks manufactured by Scepter.
But the innovation didn't stop there. The U.S. military adopted Scepter's military fuel can as the new standard for use by all branches, converting from metal to plastic.
Still in the 80s, Scepter introduced the concept of using advanced high impact thermoplastics as a way to develop better packaging for the safe handling and storage of heavy calibre ammunition. The new packaging was built to military specifications, and meets or exceeds NATO requirements.
The new millennium ushered in the EPA and CARB approved legislation for new emissions and spill-control regulations. In response to the legislation, Scepter introduced a new line of ECO Fuel Containers.
And the legacy continues. Scepter is always seeking new innovative ways to build better products from plastics. From the 1950s to today, Scepter remains the Symbol of Quality.