Scepter History

1950s

Scepter was founded in 1949 by a young European immigrant, Evald Torokvei. Working in the basement of his downtown Toronto home, he manufactured inflatable vinyl toys by night and sold them during the day.

The company grew quickly, moving first to a small rented facility in 1950, then to a larger building in East York, which was purchased in 1953. In 1954 Scepter changed its organizational structure and incorporated. In the early days, our company made everything from inflatable toys to wading pools, hula hoops, and a wide range of consumer goods. But our founder believed many industrial needs could also be met with plastics.

Realizing that limited Canadian competition existed in extrusion and injection-moulded plastic products, he led the expansion into these areas, extruding PVC and HDPE for industrial applications. Scepter set the stage for its current reputation as an innovator by blow-moulding the first plastic Jerry Cans for gasoline in Canada. By the end of our first decade, the plant had doubled in size, and Scepter had received numerous design and innovation awards from the plastics industry.

1960s

In the sixties, Scepter continued to expand into more technologically advanced areas. We developed "Scepterene" - a resin that could withstand severe impact and was impervious to gasoline. We expanded the Jerry Can line to include one, two and five-gallon sizes, obtained Fire Marshal's approval, and developed the CSA specifications for Jerry Cans that are still in use today. As the business grew, the Ontario government presented Scepter with an Achievement Award for surpassing one million dollars in export business. We began manufacturing moulded high tolerance parts for automotive customers, produced canteens for the military, and five-gallon water containers for use in Viet Nam. These water containers are now the standard for U.S., Canadian and other NATO forces.

The company was now experiencing growth in all sectors. By the mid 1960s, Scepter had succeeded in manufacturing 12-inch PVC pipe and purchased a seven-acre facility in Scarborough, Ontario to house the expanding pipe division. Scepter was the first in Canada to use reciprocating screw injection-moulding machines. They were seen as a giant leap forward in injection-moulding technology. Scepter developed a line of PVC fittings to complement electrical conduit, and we were the first to produce plastic beverage cases.

 

 

1970s

By the 1970s, Scepter was recognized as an innovative force in the plastic industry with technological expertise and design capabilities. We purchased a second plant in Scarborough for the production of crates and material-handling products and expanded the plant to 65,000 square feet. To improve product quality and increase output, Scepter was the first in Canada to use twin screw extruders for manufacturing pipe. By 1974, we produced 24-inch PVC pipe, the largest in North America, and expanded our manufacturing operation with an extrusion and moulding facility in Edmonton and a moulding plant in California.

 

Scepter was recognized as the leader in the design and manufacture of plastic beverage and dairy cases. and we established acceptance of plastic fuel containers (Jerry Cans) in all fifty states. During this time, our founder, Evald Torokvei, died at the age of 64. But his spirit of innovation would inspire the company as it continued to grow.

 

 

1980s

Scepter developed a national sales force for PVC pipe and fittings with 13 locations across Canada. In 1984, we set up our own design and injection mould manufacturing facility to provide moulds for ourselves and export markets, and built a new ultra-modern extrusion facility in Montreal. Scepter was now recognized as a North American leader in PVC extrusion and injection moulding.

We developed a three-handled plastic fuel can for use by military forces, changing the fuel can requirements for the Canadian Forces from metal to plastic.

Scepter began providing remote outboard engine fuel tanks as standard original equipment for Mercury Marine's outboard engines, and designed and introduced advanced packaging for heavy calibre military ammunition, providing better handling and storage capabilities. Scepter reached the 100-million-dollar sales milestone in 1985, $200 million by 1989.

 

1990s

In the 1990s, Scepter continued to build on its success. Recognized worldwide for innovative designs for ammunition packaging, we continued to create new packages for large calibre ammunitions rounds. The U.S. military adopted the Scepter fuel can as the new standard for use by all branches. With the Scepter can, it was was now able to transport fuel by air. Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Tohatsu and other original equipment manufacturers awarded Scepter multi-year contracts to supply remote outboard engine fuel tanks. Scepter expanded the export of PVC pipe and fittings to the U.S. market.

In the early 90's Scepter's pipe and fitting division merged with Canron's pipe division to become Canada's largest extruder of pipe and fittings.

The Scepter and Canron Merger

2000

The dawn of a new century ushered in new changes for Scepter's Jerry Fuel Containers. The California Air Resource Board (CARB) approved new emission and spill-control regulations that were designed to reduce the estimated 87 tons of smog-forming pollution released on a daily basis from traditional gas cans. In response to this new legislation, Scepter introduced its new line of ECO Fuel Containers.

Scepter developed a complete new line of Household Products including the 20, 32, and 36 gallon refuse containers. In addition, we introduced the "Store Stuff" line of storage totes made of durable co-polymer polypropylene.

In 2002 Scepter again expanded bringing all its expertise and innovation to include a houseware's line of product including various sizes of refuse containers and storage totes

In 2003 the addition of the Holiday line of storage totes was added

In 2005, Scepter acquired Flo n' go, a safe and easy solution used for the transfer of fuel. Today, Flo n' go is marketed throughout North America.

Complete engineering and mold design capabilities in a separate 20,000 sq.ft. facility

 In 2006 Expanded warehouse by 20,000 sq. ft.

In 2007 expanded into additional warehouse of 40,000 sq. ft.

In 2006/2007 purchased new state of the art equipment making Scepter a leading Manufacturer in the fuel tank industry.

In 2007 expanded the line of storage tote with the addition of 3 new sizes with the zero nesting feature

In 2008 Scepter yet again grew its product line and introduced a line of Tool Boxes and caddies expanding into the Hardware business

refuse container

Return to Top of Page